Wigan Council - Logo

Wigan Council 01942 244991

Call 01942 244991

Wigan Council is the council that covers the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, one of the boroughs of Greater Manchester including Wigan and the surrounding area.  It is based in the Wigan Civic Centre and the main switchboard number is 01942 244991.


Wigan Council handles a range of services for residents including housing, leisure, schools and crime.  You can contact them at their main number or find out more information via their website. Some services can also be paid for or reporting online.

Crime comes in lots of different forms and while the police and emergency services are always the first contacts for these problems, there are services available to help from the council.  There are reporting facilities for anti-social behaviour and abuse and neglect as well as crime prevention help. You can get support for victims of domestic abuse and even help to protect your property after a flood.

Health and social care issues can affect anyone and there is a range of services available from the council to assist.  There are a children and young people’s department that covers all services relating to social care and health for children as well as similar services for adults.  There is a special area for older people and those with special educational needs and disabilities.

If you think you have a problem with a trading standards issue such as a poor-quality item sold in a shop, the council can offer advice.  They also have a list of good traders and access to the Wigan Advice Network. You can use the website to find advice on managing your money and Citizen Advice Centres.

Wigan Council - MapWards

Since 2003, Wigan has been divided into 25 electoral wards which are separated by the townships, of which there are 10.  There are then councillors elected for each one. The townships and wards are:

Ashton-in-Makerfield / Bryn

  • Ashton; Bryn


  • Atherton

Hindley / Abram

  • Abram;
  • Hindley;
  • Hindley Green


  • Atherleigh;
  • Leigh North;
  • Leigh South;
  • Leigh West

Lowton / Golborne

  • Golborne and Lowton West;
  • Lowton East

Orrell / Higher End / Winstanley

  • Orrell;
  • Winstanley;

Standish / Aspull / Shevington

  • Aspull-New Springs-Whelley;
  • Shevington with Lower Ground;
  • Standish with Langtree

Tyldesley / Astley

  • Astley-Mosley Common;
  • Tyldesley

Wigan North

  • Ince-in-Makerfield;
  • Wigan Central;
  • Wigan West

Wigan South

  • Douglas;
  • Pemberton;
  • Worsley Mesnes

Contact the council

The council has its main offices in the Civic Centre in Wigan but also operates Life Centres which are available for residents to drop in and get help or advice.  These centres are located in:

  • Wigan
  • Atherton
  • Ince
  • Leigh
  • Marsh Green
  • Platt Bridge

You can see addresses for these on the website https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Council/Contact-us/Life-Centres/index.aspx

In addition to the working hours contact numbers, there are also emergency numbers to use if you need help.

  • For genuine emergencies concerning drainage, flooding, street lighting, building and electrical repairs, highways – 01942 404040
  • Emergency repairs to council houses – 01942 489005
  • Adult social care – 01942 828777
  • Children’s social care – 01942 828300

Many services are also available through the website https://www.wigan.gov.uk/