Wandsworth Council

Call 020 8871 6000

Wandsworth London Borough Council is responsible for the London Borough of Wandsworth in Greater London and is one of the 32 council boroughs of the capital. The council was created in the 1963 change to London councils.

The council is responsible for most of the normal areas of a local council although the Greater London Authority handle some highways and planning control. Wandsworth council still handles council tax billing, collects precepts for areas such as policing and fire as well as offering other services for residents and businesses.

The council is separated into 20 wards:

  1. Balham
  2. Bedford
  3. Earlsfield
  4. East Putney
  5. Fairfield
  6. Furzedown
  7. Graveney
  8. Latchmere
  9. Nightingale
  10. Northcote
  11. Queenstown
  12. Roehampton; renamed Roehampton & Putney Heath in 2010
  13. St Mary’s Park
  14. Shaftesbury
  15. Southfields
  16. Thamesfield
  17. Tooting
  18. Wandsworth Common
  19. West Hill
  20. West Putney

Contacting the council

There are two main options for contacting the council – you can reach them via their website or you can ring them. The website is found at http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk or you can call the main switchboard number on 020 8871 6000.  Lines are open from 9 am until 5 pm weekdays, apart from Bank Holidays.  The council is based in The Town Hall, Wandsworth High Street, London SW18 2PU

There are also some emergency numbers for problems out of hours:

  • General emergencies – 020 8871 6000
  • Council housing emergencies – 020 8871 7490
  • Noise and nuisance problems – 020 8871 6127
  • Park police – 020 8871 6789

You can use the website for a wide range of services by creating an account with your email address and a password.  This will let you access services as well as pay for other services and things such as council tax bills or parking tickets.  You can also report a range of problems via the website such as a missed bin collection, fly tipping or to order recycling sacks or a bulk waste collection.  You can also report street problems, a change to your details that might affect benefits or to apply for or renew a parking permit.