Rochdale Borough Council

Rochdale Borough Council

Call 01706 647474

Rochdale Borough Council is one of the ten councils of Greater Manchester and covers Rochdale and the surrounding area.  It is based in Number One Riverside and the main contact number is 01706 647474.


Rochdale Borough Council has both a website and a series of telephone numbers to contact staff and get the help you need.  You can make payments online through the secure payment facility or over the phone and report problems.

Bin collections are one area that the council handle for Rochdale residents.  You can find out from the website when your bin is due to be collected and report if your bin has been missed.  You can also get information about local recycling centres and order a bulky item removal service, though there may be a charge for this.

The council offer a range of services and assistance for businesses in the area.  This includes business advice and support with grants, loans and financial support.  You can get help starting a new business or training for your existing staff. You can also find out about business rates, make a payment or get assistance with environmental health matters.

For families with school-age children, the website offers information about school term dates and holidays as well as Sure Start children’s centres.  Find out about schools closed unexpectedly or apply for a school place for your child. You can even get information about choosing childcare and any help available.

 Rochdale Borough - Map


Rochdale is divided into 20 wards for the purposes of council elections and governance.  These wards are:

  1. Balderstone & Kirkholt
  2. Bamford
  3. Castleton
  4. Central Rochdale
  5. East Middleton
  6. Healey
  7. Hopwood Hall
  8. Kingsway
  9. Littleborough Lakeside
  10. Mikstone & Deeplish
  11. Milnrow & Newhey
  12. Norden
  13. North Heywood
  14. North Middleton
  15. Smallbridge & Firgrove
  16. South Middleton
  17. Spotland & Falinge
  18. Wardle & West Littleborough
  19. West Heywood
  20. West Middleton

Contact the council

If you are unsure which part of the council that you need to speak to, the first place to start is the switchboard which can be reached on 01706 647474.  This line is open 8:30 – 5pm weekdays. You can also use the main email address [email protected].  

There are also emergency numbers that operate when the main offices are closed.  0300 303 8875 can be used for social services problems, emergency work on highways, public emergencies and armed forces assistant.  For street light faults, ring EON emergency line on 0300 303 8881. And if you have an emergency with a council property, ring 0800 027 7769 or 01706 274100.

The council has four township offices that are available to find out about local services and get involved with the council.  These can be reached on:

  • Heywood – 01706 922230
  • Middleton – 01706 923124
  • Pennines – 01706 922227
  • Rochdale – 01706 924802

The different departments within the council also have their own contact numbers if you know who you need to speak to.  You can find details of all of these on the contact page