This call connection service is Them Telecom Ltd.
The direct number can be found at a lower
cost here

HMRC Contact Number

Call connection service.

Calls cost £6 plus your phone company's Access Charge

Have a pen and paper ready to take down the direct number or your recording reference number.

Income tax – 0300 200 3300

To contact HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) about matters relating to income tax, you can call 0300 200 3300. – this is the general enquiries helpline. You can also use the local-rate contact number 0330 200 3300 which acts as an income tax helpline.

The 0300 number can be used for a range of general income tax matters including changing your personal details, querying marriage allowances and PAYE coding notices. You can also use the number to check your information and query anything you think is incorrect. The number also serves if you have suffered a bereavement and need to settle tax affairs for the deceased as well as organising any probate information regards inheriting their estate.

For textphone or minicom users, you can call 0300 200 3319.

For callers from outside who need to contact HMRC you can call +44 135 535 9022 – calls to the number will cost more than from within the UK and depends on the country you are calling from as well as the network you use.

This is a dedicated income tax support line that is available Mon-Fri from 8am-8pm and Saturdays from 8am-4pm. The line is closed on Sundays and on Bank Holidays. It is recommended that you call before 10 am during the week as this is the least busy time.

HMRC was formerly known as the Inland Revenue and offers a range of web-based services in addition to those offered via helplines.

For example, you can check your income tax for the current year at Or you can notify HMRC about changes to your name or address at

If you prefer, you can still post income tax query information to HMRC by using the following address:

  • Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
    HM Revenue and Customs,
    BX9 1AS,
    United Kingdom.
Income tax pie chart
Self assessment sorted

Capital gains tax – 0300 200 3300

You can contact HMRC for general enquiries regarding capital gains tax on 0300 200 3300, a local rate contact number where you can advise about an item that has been sold at an increased value.  This number also serves to connect you advisors who can help with matters such as whether the sale needs to be included in your annual tax-free allowance, how much you will have to pay and if items can be given as gifts without being affected.

Self assessment – 0300 200 3310

You can phone HMRC on their dedicated self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310, a mobile friendly number that can be used for any queries about your tax position. This includes finding out about self assessment dates, your Unique Taxpayer Reference or UTR and also if you are required to file self assessment paperwork after a change in a situation.

If you use textphone or minicom systems, you can contact HMRC on 0300 200 3319

Both are local rate phone numbers, so calls cost 12p a minute when calling from landlines and up to 45p a minute from mobile – inclusive minutes normally cost towards the cost of this call, but you should check with your mobile network provider to be certain

If you need to call HMRC’s self assessment helpline from abroad, then you can use the number +44 161 931 9070. Calls will cost more than ringing from inside the UK and be depending both on your network and the country you call from.

These numbers are available from 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am-4pm on Saturdays. The lines are closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

HMRC Website links

You can find a range of helpful videos and webinars on self-assessment from the HMRC website –

Additionally, if you are having a problem completing your online returns or have lost information such as your password or username, you can use this address to get help –

HMRC self assessment contact details

Department Contact number
Order a form –  For UK 0300 200 3610
Order a form – For international +44 161 930 8331
Order a form – For fax 0300 200 3611
Payments – UK 0300 200 3401
Payments –  For international +44 1506 476 066
Self assessment online services – For UK Phone: 0300 200 3600
Self assessment online services –  For  textphone & minicom 0300 200 3603
Self assessment online services –For  international +44 161 930 8445
Missed payment enquiries 0300 200 3822

HMRC Postal address

You can also write to HMRC relating to any aspect of your self assessment. Do not include sensitive information such as bank details as these could be fraudulently accessed. The address to use is:

  • Self Assessment,
  • HM Revenue and Customs,
  • BX9 1AS,
  • United Kingdom.

If you need to make a payment via cheque, you can use the following address for the HMRC money-handling department:

BX5 5BD,
United Kingdom.

Tax credits – 0345 300 3900

To contact HMRC regarding tax credits, you can call 0345 300 3900. This number is charged the same way as 01/02 numbers. It is available for a variety of requests including a new claim form, to notify of changing circumstances, check where payments will be made and any other query.

If you are calling from overseas, you should use +44 2890 538 192 – these calls will cost more than within the UK, depending on where in the world you are calling from.

There is also a textphone and minicom number – 0345 300 3909

If you wish to manage your tax credits online, there is an official website to use:

You can also use one of the addresses provided for different queries:

Tax credit contact addresses


  • New tax credit claim forms
  • HMRC Tax Credit Office, Liverpool, L75 1AZ, UK.
  • Renewal tax credit claim forms
  • HMRC Tax Credit Office, Comben House, Farriers Way Netherton, L75 1AX, United Kingdom.
  • Change of circumstances and complaints (add this to the top of the letter)
  • HMRC Tax Credit Office, Preston
  • PR1 4AT, United Kingdom.

Child benefit – 0300 200 3100

Any queries for HMRC regarding child benefit should use the contact phone number 0300 200 3100.

You can use the number 0300 200 3100 to start a new claim or to stop an existing claim for child benefit. You can also query about eligibility as well as alter your personal information. The number also serves for other queries and complaints and calls are charged at the standard local rate.

For those requiring a textphone service, use 0300 200 3103 while calls from outside the UK can be directed to +44 161 210 3086 – costs will be higher than for UK callers and depend on the country you are in when calling.

Lines are open from 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am-4pm on Saturdays. The lines are closed on Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. The quietest time to call, according to HMRC is between 8am-11am on Wednesdays to Fridays.

There is also a live chat support facility where you can talk to child benefit advisors through the website:

You can also write to HMRC regarding child benefit matters using the below address – if you are complaining, please mark this on the envelope to ensure it goes to the relevant team members:

  • HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office,
  • PO Box 1,
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne,
  • NE88 1AA,
  • United Kingdom.

Childcare providers – 0345 300 3941

You can now contact HMRC as a childcare provider via this dedicated UK phone number 0345 300 3941.

This number provides assistance with matters such as working tax credits or other matters as a childcare provider. For those who are hard of hearing or have speech impediments, you can use the textphone number 0845 300 3909.

Both numbers are available from 8am-8pm weekdays and 8am-4pm on Saturdays, being closed on Sundays and some bank holidays such as Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Guardian’s allowance – 0300 200 3101

If you require contacting HMRC about guardian’s allowance, you can use this dedicated number – 0300 200 3101.

This number can be used if you are a primary carer for a child who has lost one or both parents and is receiving this allowance in addition to child benefit.

You can notify HMRC of any changes via this number such as if the child moves in with someone else. You can also notify if you go abroad if your personal information changes or if there is a change to the status of a surviving parent.

There is also a special address to use for these queries where you can put the information in writing:

  • HM Revenue and Customs – Guardian’s Allowance Unit,
  • Child Benefit Office,
  • PO Box 1,
  • Newcastle upon Tyne,
  • NE88 1AA,
  • United Kingdom.

National Insurance – 0300 200 3500

If you need to call HMRC (formerly Inland Revenue) regarding your national insurance contributions, then you can now use this local rate number 0300 200 3500 from within the UK or +44 191 203 7010 if you are outside the UK (call costs will vary depending on country of call).

Included on this number is information on national insurance rates and thresholds as well as statutory payments, Class 3 national insurance and to obtain information about your employment history.

This tax office number is available if you need an NI statement or have lost your national insurance number or card.

Textphone numbers can use the dedicated number 0300 200 3519

The NI helpline numbers are available 8am-8pm weekdays and 8a-4pm on Saturdays. They are closed Sundays and Bank Holidays.

There is also an address to write to regarding national insurance:

  • National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office,
  • HM Revenue and Customs,
  • BX9 1AN,
  • United Kingdom.

Employer Enquiries – 0300 200 3200

For employers who need to contact HMRC about employee taxation topics, you can call 0300 200 3200 or send a fax to 0300 052 3030. There is also a dedicated textphone number on 0300 200 3212.

This tax office contact number can help with matters including stakeholder pensions, student loan repayments and issues around the PAYE system. This includes statutory sick and maternity or paternity pay issues, the Construction Industry Scheme and other employment matters.

These lines are open Monday-Friday from 8 am to 8 pm and on Saturday from 8 am until 4 pm. They are closed Sundays and some bank holidays such as Christmas Day. Calls are charged at the standard UK rate in line with calls to 01/02 numbers.

You can also submit information via special online forms at the following web addresses:

To inform HMRC that you don’t owe National Insurance contributions, see this page:

To inform HMRC, you have been payrolling benefits go to:

To communicate to HMRC a query about Statutory Sick Pay, go to:

For employers, post your query to HMRC using this postal address:

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office,

  • HM Revenue and Customs,
  • BX9 1BX,
  • United Kingdom.

VAT enquiries – 0300 200 3700
To phone HMRC VAT enquiries department, you can now use this local rate contact number on 0300 200 3700 or from international locations, call +44 2920 501 261.

This number is available 8 am to 6 pm each day during the week but is closed on weekends and bank holidays. The recommended time to call is from 8 am until 11 am when the lines are quietest.
There is also a dedicated online query section via the HMRC website where you can submit a query:
Should you require to write to HMRC or send information via post, use the following address:

  • HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Enquiries,
  • Alexander House,
  • 21 Victoria Avenue,
  • Southend-On-Sea,
  • SS99 1BD,
  • UK.

HMRC (how to complain) complaints – 0330 200 3300

If you need to complain to HMRC, then there are department specific numbers to call to ensure you speak to the right person.

Should you be uncertain which department needs to deal with the complaint, then call 0330 200 3300.

This is a general customer service phone number where you can speak to the experts in income and general tax issues and find the right department.

Alcohol duties & warehousing – 0300 200 3701

If you want to contact HMRC for tax queries relating to the sale of tobacco and alcohol products, you now use this dedicated number – 0300 200 3701.

This number can be used to advise where restricted items are being stored under the Alcohol & Tobacco Warehousing Declaration or ATWD.

You can also use it if you have to pay duty on wine, cider or beer products and can call 0300 058 3920 to find out about when you should pay or any refund due for overpayments.

HMRC (how to complain) complaints – 0330 200 3300

If you need to complain to HMRC, then there are department specific numbers to call to ensure you speak to the right person.

Should you be uncertain which department needs to deal with the complaint, then call 0330 200 3300.

This is a general customer service phone number where you can speak to the experts in income and general tax issues and find the right department.

Frequent Questions To HRMC

Can HMRC Chase Me Abroad?

A lot depends on where you go.  The UK government has agreements with countries in the EU that allows them to pursue tax or other payments owned when someone lives there.  For example, one expat living in Spain has the local tax authority chase him for a tax bill of £640,000 that was owed to HMRC for their time living in the UK.  The foreign country can also start debt recovery processes in the same way as the UK government.

There are some rules – the debt must be more than five years old.  And not all countries will be involved with the scheme. From 2017, some 60 countries are also exchanging details of individual’s bank accounts automatically, so this may increase the number of people living abroad who get these requests.

Can HMRC take my house?

HMRC are allowed to take ‘enforcement action’ to collect money owed.  There are a number of ways they can do this including getting debt collection agencies involves or by taking earnings or pensions.  They can also take things you own and sell them. In 2013,

HMRC quietly announced that they were now also able to use charging orders – these are used after a CCJ has been applied and secures the debt against the property.  This means if the house is sold, they will get their money after any mortgage company. They cannot currently make you sell your home to pay off debts, however.

Can HMRC make me bankrupt?

If you don’t may HMRC money owed to them, there are a few options they have.  If you owe more than £5000, they can start bankruptcy proceedings against you.  With this, they would apply for a county court judgement (CCJ) which will see forms sent out to you.  

You can complete these and agree on an affordable monthly payment. If you don’t, they can look to take a charging order against any property you own.  They can also alter your tax code if you are employed and take money from your wages to cover the bill if you have debts up to £3000 and earn less than £30,000 a year.

Can HMRC give me a P60?

The P60 is the form that shows the tax you have paid on the money you have earned in any one tax year (from April 6th until April 5th the following year).  If you work for a company, they need to give you a P60 by the end of May that tax year either electronically or on paper.  

You need this form to claim back overpaid taxes, apply for tax credits or as a proof of income for loans or mortgages. HMRC doesn’t reissue these so if you can’t find it or haven’t been issued one, contact your employer for that time and they should be able to reissue it.

Can HMRC ask for bank statements?

HMRC are in a position where they can ask for any documents ‘reasonably required to check your tax position’ so this means they can ask for bank statements.  You do have the right to refuse this if you don’t think they need to see them but if you find they keep requesting them, you may need to go in front of a judge at a tribunal to explain why you think they don’t have the right to see them.  They don’t have the right to see accounts where no company transactions took place, however. If you are being accused of having other income, you may be best off providing the bank statements to prove you didn’t.

Can HMRC close a business?

If you have run into a problem where you can’t pay your tax bill, there is a series of steps that HMRC will take.  To start with, they may give you time to pay although they are also likely to tell you to borrow money, lend it from friends or family or other steps to pay the bill.  

Then you will likely receive letters from them that may become quite threatening if you don’t pay the bill. Finally, after around 6 months, they may send bailiffs to the business property.  After three visits, if the bill is still outstanding, they can apply for winding up of the business. This will see assets sold to clear the tax bill.

Can HMRC take my car?

If you owe money to HMRC, they will often use bailiffs to attempt to recover it.  They will visit your home or business to repossess assets that can be sold to pay your bill, and this can include your car.  They can take your car if they have a controlled goods agreement, can tow it away or clamp it.

They are permitted to do this if it is parked at your home or on a public road.  However, they must have a court order to take it if it is parked on private land or another person’s property, such as on a friend’s driveway.

They cannot take a car with a disabled badge, where there is a logbook loan in place, if the vehicle is essential for your job and is worth less than £1350 or if it is a camper van, caravan or houseboat that is also someone’s main home.  They also use automatic number plate recognition software and will drive around the local area looking for the vehicle to take it.

Can HMRC freeze bank accounts?

Under the Direct Recovery of Debts (DRD) rules, HMRC can take steps to freeze bank accounts as part of collecting unpaid tax bills.  They do have to contact the taxpayer a number of times before taking this step and an information notice is then sent to the bank which makes them provide information held about the account holder.  This has to be done within 10 days. You don’t get a copy of this, so you don’t know it is happening.

HMRC then sends a notice to freeze the account. However, there must be at least £5000 left to the taxpayer across all accounts.  Then a notice is sent to the account holder about what is happening. The account holder can appeal the process and HMRC has to respond within 30 days.

Can HMRC provide P45?

The P45 is the form your employer issues when you stop working for them.  It is the law that your employer produces this when you leave. It contains information about how much money you have earned, tax paid, national insurance and other benefits.  

If you have lost your P45 and need to get a replacement, HMRC does not issue these. Instead, you will have to go to your last employer and they will need to issue another one.  If you don’t have it by the start of your new job, you may get an emergency tax code that will take more tax – you should be able to claim this back once your proper tax code is identified.

Can HMRC reopen an enquiry?

Enquiries are used when HMRC wants to check something on a self-assessment tax return.  This is a formal, statutory procedure and this means there are fixed time limits involved.  HMRC don’t have to provide a reason for wanting to do this and they can look into things such as claims and elections.  When the enquiry finishes, they issue a closure notice that states either there is no amendment or there is an amendment.

If the time limits for opening an enquiry have passed or the enquiry was closed, HMRC can only investigate the tax for that particular period if there are grounds for making a discovery assessment.  This means that it has evidence that too little tax was paid.

Can HMRC search your house?

HMRC does have some ability to conduct a criminal investigation relating to the payment or non-payment of taxes.  It isn’t responsible for criminal prosecutions and the decision about this is made by an independent authority. But they can investigate if something has been done illegally.

As part of this ability, they have certain powers.  This includes applying for orders requiring information to be produced, known as production orders.  They can apply for search warrants that would let them search your house or business property. And they can make arrests and search suspects and premises following an arrest.  However, only specially trained offices at HMRC are allowed to use these powers and these are similar to higher police ranks such as sergeant, inspector, chief inspector and superintendent.

Can HMRC turn up unannounced?

Most of the time if you receive a visit from HMRC, they will have booked an appointment ahead of time and told you if they need any paperwork or other information when they visit.  However, they can make unannounced visits. There are two general reasons for this – one is a routine PAYE or VAT inspection, but a notification has simply not been sent in error. The other is where they purposefully turn up unannounced, but they need to have a formal notice from a Tribunal or an authorised officer of HMRC with them for this.  This allows them to request entry to the property but not automatically enter. There is no penalty for refusing an authorised officer signed letter but there can be if a Tribunal has signed it.

Can HMRC issue a warrant for arrest?

HMRC does have some criminal investigation powers when people have broken the law around not paying their tax.  They can apply for orders requiring information to be products or for search warrants. They can also make arrests and search suspects and their premises after someone is arrested.  They only normal use these powers in relation to areas such as fraud, false accounting, VAT evasion, tax evasion, improper goods imports and what is known as ‘cheating the public revenue’. A magistrate needs to issue a warrant for searching property and arresting someone just the same as with the police.

Can HMRC take my pension?

HMRC have a lot of rights to take money in different ways when you owe them something.  For example, if you earn less than £30,000, they can take up to £3,000 by changing your tax code and making you pay more tax each month.  If you earn more than this, they can take more. They can also take money straight from your bank account if you have at least £5,000 in that account.  If you are over the pension age and become bankrupt, they can sometimes make you draw your pension to pay off creditors. And if you have pension contributions, courts can make you ‘undo’ those contributions to pay the debt if they were made in the last 5 years with the intent of depriving creditors (in other words, adding to a pension fund rather than paying your debts).

Can HMRC arrest you?

HMRC do have some powers that are for criminal investigations.  These are used when they think someone has purposefully avoided tax or VAT and there is a criminal case for them to answer.  Under these rules, they have powers a bit like the police. They can approach a magistrate for a court order to search a property or arrest someone.  They can also apply to search the person and property after an arrest. The powers tend to be used for bigger cases such as tax or VAT evasion, fraud, false accounting and goods importing fraud.  But they can arrest you with the right paperwork.

Can HMRC seize my house?

HMRC have the right to take what is called an ‘enforcement action’ in order to get money owed to them for tax or VAT.  This can see them take a number of steps but one of the most common ones is to involve a bailiff who will visit the house to try and repossess goods to sell and pay off your debt.  A car is a common one for this. However, there is a situation where they can have a ‘charging order’ added to your home if you have a mortgage. This means if you sell the house, they get their money before the mortgage company and means you could get less for your property or could owe the mortgage company once HMRC has taken their share.

Can HMRC chase a dissolved company?

When you dissolve a company, all assets pass to the Crown and it is legally known as ‘bona vacantia’ or ownerless property.  These assets can include land and property, mortgages, shares and any intellectual property such as trademarks or patents. However, if you have debts or owe money to HMRC, then they can object to you dissolving the company.  

You also cannot dissolve a company that is threatened with insolvency liquidation like a winding-up notice as this can lead to a fine or even prosecution. Also for a period of 20 years, a company can face legal action for any money outstanding and HMRC has the right to make a claim even on the estate of a deceased person, without time limit and including penalties and interest.

Can HMRC send you to prison?

It is very rare for HMRC to take action to send someone to prison if you owe tax or similar money.  They can take your possessions such as vehicles to sell at auction – this is known as distraint. They can take money from your account if you have a debt of £1000 or more and can take other court action.  

If you have a business, they can make you bankrupt or close down your business. However, if the case is a criminal one such as fraud, money laundering or serious tax evasion, then HMRC do have more powers including making arrests and forwarding a case to have charges brought that could lead to a prison sentence.

Can HMRC provide P60?

No, HMRC isn’t the one that issues a P60 or a similar document like a P45.  These are documents provided when you leave a job or annually to show how much tax you have paid.  When you work for a company and they pay you through PAYE they are the ones that need to present you with the annual P45 and the ones who give you a P60 when you leave the role.  If you lose your P60 and need another one, you need to go back to that employer and ask them to provide you with a copy. HMRC may hold the information but they don’t issue these statements.

Can HMRC see bank accounts?

At the moment, HMRC has some powers to check people’s bank accounts although there is a discussion taking place about expanding those powers.  Under the new changes, HMRC would be able to obtain bank statements, transactions and other basic banking information to ‘reasonably check’ a person’s tax position and wouldn’t need tribunal approval to do this.  

HMRC can also seek out information for people with bank accounts outside the UK in a large number of countries through something called the Common Reporting Standard – and tax authorities in other countries can do the same here with UK accounts.

Will HMRC call me?

One of the main scams that we encounter regarding HMRC is when people get phone calls, texts or emails from HMRC.  The tax department only uses two means to get in touch – they will write to you or they will send an email telling you there is a message on your Government Gateway account if you have one.  They will only call you if you have first called them and they need to ring back with information or find out something, as agreed in the conversation. So if you receive a call out of the blue from ‘HMRC’ it is most likely this is a scam of some kind.  Hang up and call the relevant HMRC phone number to find out if they do want to talk to you or report the scam call.

Will HMRC ever email me?

The only way that HMRC uses email to get in touch is if you have set up a Government Gateway account.  If you have this, they will send messages to it and you will get an automated email saying there is a new message for you to read.  You will then go to the website and log in to read the content. If you receive an email saying you are due to a tax rebate or owe money, this is most likely a scam.  HMRC usually contacts via post and doesn’t send text messages, emails or ring people to talk about things like this.

Will HMRC calculate my tax?

If you work for a company and are paid by PAYE, then they will automatically take your tax and national insurance payments from your wage before you receive it.  This is worked out based on your tax code which tells your employer what percentage they need to take. If you are self-employed, HMRC will tell you how much tax you owe after you have submitted a self-assessment return, or your company has submitted company returns.  

However, you can also get an estimate of how much this might be from online calculators such as for self-employed people.

Will HMRC contact me by email?

Most of the time, the main way that HMRC will get in touch is by sending you a letter.  This will often ask you to get in touch and give you the number for the department that you need.  The main reason that they will email you is that you have set up an account on the Government Gateway website and there is a message waiting there for you.  They won’t ask for you to confirm any information or click a link, just tell you to visit the website. You need your login information to access this and read the message.

Will HMRC accept a payment plan?

If you have a tax bill to pay and can’t pay it all in one go, there may be an option to spread the payments with a payment plan.  This is intended as a one-off support when you have encountered problems and can’t afford to make a single, one-off payment. You can only do this for self-assessment payments and you must owe £10,000 or less, have no other tax debts and no other HMRC payment plans in place.  

You need to keep up to date with the payments or HMRC can demand the entire amount as a single upfront payment and take steps to get this including taking possessions such as a car you own.

Will HMRC ask for bank details?

If you receive a call, text or email asking for your bank details to give a tax refund, this is a scam and you should not provide this information.  HMRC only advises about tax refunds in writing or via an employer if you get paid via PAYE.

If you get an email asking you to click a link and add your bank details to get a refund, this is also bogus.  The only time HMRC will take bank details is if you ring them and are making a payment or go to their website and use the tool to set up a payment plan to cover your self-assessment tax return.

Will HMRC call you?

HMRC don’t make phone calls to you unless you have rung them first and arranged for a call back on some matter.  So if you get a call from someone claiming to be from HMRC, this is likely some kind of scam. HMRC only sends letters or sometimes an email telling you there’s a new message on your Government Gateway if you have set this up.  

Any emails, text messages or calls telling you that you have a tax refund due and to contact or click a link are a scam and will likely involve you giving bank details and having money stolen.

Will HMRC Phone Me?

Because there are so many scams about, HMRC is very specific about how they get in touch with people.  The most common route is via a letter. This will ask you to get in touch or might tell you some of what is wrong.  If you ring them and have to get them to call back, they will. But they won’t just call you randomly – if you receive a call from someone saying they are from HMRC, then it is unlikely to be the case.  You can simply tell them you will ring HMRC and if they are genuine, this will be fine. Never give bank details or card information to someone who just rings you and says they are from HMRC, even if they say you are due to a refund.

Will HMRC ring me?

No, HMRC doesn’t make phone calls unless you have spoken to them first and arranged a callback.  That’s because there are lots of scams around and it is hard for them to make people certain the call is genuine.  Therefore they will always send you a letter and ask you to get in touch rather than just ring you.

A phone call from HMRC out of the blue will most likely be some kind of scam so don’t give them any information and ring HMRC yourself to see what is going on.  The same applies to text messages.

Will HMRC accept an IVA?

If you have trouble with your finances and have applied for an Individual Voluntary Arrangement to help get things under control, you can ask HMRC to take this into account.  If your debt to HMRC is due to tax arrears, they will react to the IVA depending on how much you owe.

If you owe less than £15,000 and your tax returns are up to date, they are often happy to let the IVA go through.  However, if you owe more than £15,000, the situation might be difficult. Always ensure your tax returns are up to date before applying for an IVA.

Will HMRC ever email you?

Most of the time, the main way that HMRC gets in touch is via a letter sent to your home or business address.  The only time they will use email as a way to contact you is to let you know that there is a new message on the Government Gateway for you to read.  This is a secure portal for things like benefits and tax returns and an automatic email will be generated when a new message is there. Otherwise, if you get an email from HMRC, such as one saying you are due to a tax return and ‘click here’ to get the money, this is a scam and will most likely try to steal bank information and your money instead.

Will HMRC allow a payment plan?

If you are self-employed and have completed your tax returns up to date but can’t manage to pay the tax bill all in one go, HMRC may allow you to use a payment plan.  This would spread the cost of the bill over a set number of payments and mean you wouldn’t get fines or threatening letters for not paying it.

However, you would need to make sure you kept up with the payments or the process of fines and further action can come straight into force.  There’s no option for this if you aren’t self-employed or if your tax returns aren’t up to date.

Will HMRC email me?

There are lots of scams out there from thieves pretending to be HMRC, so it is always good to be cautious about emails, texts or messages you receive.  The main way HMRC will get in touch is via a letter asking you to contact them. There is one situation where they will send an email – if you have a Government Gateway account and there is a new message for you there.  This might be that your tax return is due, or your tax bill has been prepared.

The email won’t tell you much and will instruct you to visit the site for more information – where you have to log in securely to get this.

Will HMRC send me a bill?

How you get a tax bill depends on how you submit your tax return.  If you use the Government Gateway website to submit a tax return electronically, then the tax bill will be put in the same place.  You will get an email telling you that the return is there, and you can log in to view it.

If you submit your return via a paper self-assessment, then you will get a bill through the post telling you how much tax you need to pay.  The deadline for paper returns is earlier than for online ones so make sure you submit it in plenty of time if you want to use this method.

Will HMRC accept scanned 64-8?

The form 64-8 I used to authorise you to act on behalf of someone else such as an individual, partnership or trust.  It is also used for things like tax credits, corporation tax and PAYE issues. A client can authorise someone to deal with a number of subjects on a 64-8 form but if you want them to act on behalf for CIS, this needs to be done separately.  You need to send the completed form to the Central Agent Authorisation Team unless you are told to send it somewhere else. It cannot be filed online or scanned and sent digitally, it must be submitted via the post.

Can HMRC make me bankrupt?

Yes, HMRC can make you bankrupt in a similar way to a commercial creditor but there are a couple of extra factors.  You must owe £5000 or more and have been unable to reach an agreement to make payments. There must also be no other means for HMRC to recover the money such as by selling possessions such as a car.  If this is the case, HMRC passes the case to the Enforcement Office who will contact you.

They will follow a process that ends with a Statutory Demand then HMRC can petition the court for bankruptcy.  This isn’t done automatically and there are constant attempts to sort the debt in different ways before this step is taken.

Will HMRC ever call me?

HMRC don’t usually make calls to be people because there are so many scams out there where people claim to be from the tax department.  For this reason, they only use mail as a way to get in touch. If you have a letter and contact them then arrange for them to ring you back, they might but otherwise, they usually don’t just call you.  The same applies to emails and texts, especially if they tell you that you are owed a tax refund – these are scams that will try to steal from you instead. Don’t respond to them or do what they ask.

Will HMRC prosecute me?

It is rare for HMRC to prosecute people, but they do have powers to do this.  most of the time the cases will relate to tax credit evasion and rarely for non-payment unless there are more complex matters like fraud involved.  

HMRC may consider prosecution for situations such as forged documents, a contrived company liquidation, serious fraud by a taxpayer or a professional such as an accountant or if there is a full disclosure certificate that is false.  There will be steps taken before the prosecution, so it won’t come as a surprise if this is happening to you but only a tiny number of cases each year go down this route.

Will HMRC accept scanned receipts?

As HMRC becomes increasingly digital in how they conduct business, they are now accepted scanned receipts for different things.  They also accept digital copies of paperwork. There are exceptions – if the document includes a tax other than VAT, you must keep the original is one.  You also need to keep a digital copy of the document for at least 6 years, longer under certain conditions.

All documents need to be totally legible and you should be able to easily find the document if HMRC requests to see another copy or have the original.  So a good scanner and filing system is key if you want to store everything digitally.

Does HMRC automatically refund tax?

HMRC doesn’t automatically refund tax to you when you have overpaid.  Instead, they will send you a letter called a P800 to tell you that you are due a tax rebate.  It will also tell you if you need to pay more tax due to this debate. The letter will normally arrive after you have done your tax return and before September.  

You can claim it online if you have a Government Gateway account. If you don’t claim it within 45 days, they will send a cheque to you. If you get a text, phone call or email telling you that you have a refund, this is a scam and ignore it.

What does HMRC stand for?

HMRC stands for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.  Their job is to collect tax from UK residents and businesses for the money they have made.  This money is used to pay for public services such as benefits and healthcare. They are also responsible for pursuing people who try to defraud the system and not pay the tax they are due to.  

The department replaced the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise departments in 2005 and reports to parliament via the Treasury minister who oversees it. It has a range of powers to handle tax evasion, fraud and other criminal issues as well as collecting tax from people who have moved outside the UK.

What HMRC does?

HMRC is the department responsible for collecting tax from UK residents.  It also handles tax collection from businesses. This money is then used for public services such as the NHS or funding benefits for people out of work.  

The department is also there to help international trade and protect the UK’s economic and fiscal security by preventing fraud and money laundering. It handles statutory payments such as sick or maternity pay and helps with tax credits for people who are struggling financially.  This makes it a very large and busy department – nearly everyone in the UK has some dealings with HMRC during the course of their life.

What’s HMRC NI ERS payment?

When you are an employee, there are two types of national insurance or NI that is paid for you.  the first is the NI EE payment, the employee contribution. This is the money taken off your pay before you receive it alongside your income tax.  It shows on your payslip each month or pays period. The other is the employer’s contribution, NI ERS which is what they pay for you as your employer.  This also shows on your payslip but doesn’t impact how much money you bring home. The threshold to start paying both is the same but the ERS rate is a little higher than the EE rate.

HMRC stands for?

HMRC stands for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom and is often known as HM Revenue and Customs as well.  It is the department of the government that has the job of collecting taxes as well as issuing some benefits payments and looking after schemes like the minimum wage.  It was created in 2005 from the Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise and has its headquarters in Parliament Street, London. There are also departments around the UK that handle different services.  It also handles things like National Insurance payments, Child Benefit and Tax Credits and also running anti-money laundering schemes to reduce fraud and stop money being used for illegal purposes.

What does HMRC stand for?

To most of us, they are the tax department but HMRC actually stands for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom.  Their job is also wider than we often realise. Yes, they are responsible for collecting tax and National Insurance.  They are also in charge of handing out a range of benefits including Child Benefit and Tax Credits. They are the ones who make sure we are receiving minimum wage in our jobs and that there is no fraud going on that is taking money out of the public fund.  

They also ensure the money collected goes for things like the NHS and to pay benefits to families and individuals that need it around the UK.

What does HMRC mean?

HMRC is the name of the department of the government that handles things like collecting tax and National Insurance as well as paying out some state benefits like Tax Credit and Child Benefit.

The full name means Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs and before 2005, it was two separate departments, Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise.

The department has its own minister responsible for it.  It is also responsible for things like capital gains tax, inheritance tax, excise duties, stamp duty and climate change levy payments. It makes sure that people receive minimum wage and also works to combat issues such as money laundering and fraud.

HMRC Contact Numbers

HMRC Telephone Number

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs or HMRC is the department of the government responsible for matters relating to income tax, national insurance, PAYE systems and also benefits such as Child Benefit. They also have a reputation for being rather difficult to reach on the phone during peak times, and this is why this new HMRC contact number can help you avoid the queues and have your question answered quicker. The number works as an HMRC tax contact number to speak to someone about a range of tax related matters. This may be about a payment you need to make or an overpayment that you paid that means you are owed a tax refund. You can also use this number to query things about your self-assessment if you are registered as self-employed and if you are having trouble paying a tax bill.

HMRC Contact Numbers

Another reason to use this number is as an HMRC national insurance contact number. Paying national insurance happens once you earn a certain amount and is something that almost all of us have to pay. You can use this number to query if you think you have paid too much or aren’t due to pay it all. Businesses can also use this number as an HMRC PAYE contact number to provide information or query anything regarding the automated PAYE system. This is how they pay employees and automatically deduct the correct tax and national insurance payments. Finally, call this number as an HMRC tax credits contact number if you have a query about any of the tax credits or benefits that you may be receiving. You can query payments or overpayments as well as find out if you are entitled to any additional benefits. You can also use it to advise about a change in circumstances that might affect the benefits you receive.

Tax Contact Number


Child Benefit Contact Number


Tax Credits Contact Number


Tax Refund Contact Number


Self Assessment Contact Number


Contact Numbers