Havering Council

Call 01708 434343

Havering is an area of east London and the council for it is called the Havering London Borough Council.  Formed in 1963 from Hornchurch Urban District Council and Romford Borough Council it is one of the 32 Greater London councils.

The council offer a host of services for residents and also for businesses operating in the area.  It is the go-to place for things like planning and building control, parking and roads, housing and school services.  It is also where you pay your council tax, arrange a recollection if your bin isn’t emptied or apply for government benefits.

The council is made from 18 wards, each with one or more councillors representing it:

  1. Brooklands
  2. Cranham
  3. Elm Park
  4. Emerson Park
  5. Gooshays
  6. Hacton
  7. Harold Wood
  8. Havering Park
  9. Heaton
  10. Hylands
  11. Mawneys
  12. Pettits
  13. Rainham & Wennington
  14. Romford Town
  15. South Hornchurch
  16. Squirrel’s Heath
  17. St Andrew’s
  18. Upminster

Contacting the council

Havering council operates an extensive website that is a great place to find the answers to many common questions.  As a resident you can set up an account and use it to apply for services and make payments for things like council tax, so you don’t have to go to the council offices at all if you don’t want to.  The website is https://www.havering.gov.uk.  

If you prefer to talk to someone, the general enquiries line is available from 9 am until 5 pm and is 01708 434343.  There is also a text relay service if you need it which is available on 18001 01708 434343. For out of hours emergency assistance, you can ring 01708 433 999.

The council also have two main locations to visit and get help.  The first is the Town Hall on Main Road Romford which is the central council office.  Then there is the Public Advice and Service Centre (PASC) which is located in the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford.  This is home to services such as the Housing Solutions, Housing Benefit and Council Tax support teams. You can also drop off documents for the planning and building department at the centre.