Getting Evidence to Support for PIP Claim

It is always important to include evidence from medical professionals such as your GP or consultant when you apply for PIP.  This is to show the DWP how your condition impacts your daily life and why you need the payment. This evidence can come in different forms including a letter, a care plan or a report.

Always send your evidence with the claim as quickly as possible so they can use it when making the assessment.

Keeping a diary

For some people, the effects of their condition are the same each day.  For others, they have good days and bad days. If this is you, it can be an idea to keep a diary to record the way the condition changes and how this affects you.  You can also use this diary as part of the evidence you provide for your claim.

Getting evidence from health professionals

When you get in touch with your doctor or consultant, tell them you are claiming for PIP and ask for a letter explaining how the condition affects you.  This is the emphasis of the letter, not information on the condition itself or any medication you take – how it affects your life.

This is because the DWP assess you on your ability to do 12 tasks and how the condition impacts this.  You can even ask your doctor to add their comments based on these tasks to ensure their letter is relevant.

The 12 tasks are:

  1. Making a cooked meal
  2. Eating and drinking
  3. Managing treatment for your condition
  4. Washing and bathing
  5. Managing toilet or incontinence needs
  6. Getting dressed and undressed
  7. Verbal communication ability
  8. Reading and understanding written information ability
  9. Ability to mix with other people
  10. Ability to make decisions about money
  11. Ability to plan journeys and follow that plan
  12. Ability to move around

You can ask a number of health professionals that you deal with to provide a letter for the DWP.  This can include your physiotherapist, social worker, counsellor, support worker, consultant or nurse as well as your doctor or GP.  Most will do this for free although some may charge a small fee for the letter.

When you request the letters, always get them sent to you, not the DWP.  Then you can check the information is what you need and keep a copy in case the original is lost in the post.