Brighton & Hove City Council - Logo

Brighton & Hove City Council

Call 01273 290000

Brighton & Hove City Council is the council that covers the city of Brighton and Hove.  The council has two main centres in Bartholomew House in Brighton and the Hove Town Hall and the main switchboard number is 01273 290000.


Bright & Hove City Council offer a wide range of services for their residents.  Some of these services can be accessed via their website while most are available over the phone.  You can also visit their centres around the city.

If you have a query about council housing or privately rented housing, the council has a Housing department.  Here you can apply for a home or a home move as well as pay your rent and get information about repairs needed.  You can also find out about private rented properties, owning or buying a home and get help if you are a landlord.  This section handles housing benefit queries as well.

If you want to make a change to your home and need to query planning permission, the Planning department is the one to speak to.  Here you can get pre-application advice and follow up on an application already submitted. You can even find out building regulation information and planning enforcement rules or if your home is listed or in a conservation area.

For spare time, you can use any of the facilities around the city that are run by the council.  These include libraries and museums, parks and green spaces and the Royal Pavilion. There are also sports clubs, activity centres and even health walks to join.  Find out what events are going on across the city through the website.

Brighton & Hove City Council - MapWards

Brighton & Hove was separated into 26 wards until a reshuffle in 2003 that saw this number reduced to 21.  These are now used and there are 54 councillors in total from them. The wards are:

  • Brunswick and Adelaide,
  • Central Hove,
  • East Brighton,
  • Goldsmid,
  • Hangleton and Knoll,
  • Hanover and Elm Grove,
  • Hollingdean and Stanmer,
  • Hove Park,
  • Moulsecoomb and Bevendean,
  • North Portslade,
  • Patcham,
  • Preston Park,
  • Queen’s Park,
  • Regency,
  • Rottingdean Coastal,
  • South Portslade,
  • St Peter’s and North Laine,
  • Westbourne,
  • Wish,
  • Withdean,
  • Woodingdean

Contact the council

If you are unsure what service you need from the council, then you can ring the main switchboard number 01273 290000 where you can find out which department you need to answer your query.

The council has two main locations where you can visit for help or advice.  The Brighton Customer Service Centre is located within Bartholomew House in Brighton while the Hove Customer Service Centre is at the Hove Town Hall.

There are also emergency teams to handle problems outside normal operating hours where you can ring to get help.  These include:

  • Civil contingencies team- 01273 296699
  • Highway or environmental emergencies (out of hours) – 01273 292229
  • Carelink plus – 0300 123 3301
  • Social care – 01273 295555
  • Homelessness – 01273 294400
  • Child Protection – 01273 290400 (out of hours 01273 335905)

You can also see a full list of the services that the council offer on their website at