Birmingham City Council - LogoBirmingham City Council

Call 0121 303 1111


Birmingham City Council are the council responsible for the City of Birmingham, the most populated local council in the UK.  The council was reorganised in June 2004 and now has 40 wards and 120 councillors representing over one million people. The main office is in Victoria Square in the city and the main contact number is 0121 303 1111.

Council services

As a council serving so many people, there is a comprehensive directory of services, most with their own contact numbers to help people get tin touch with the right person.  You can also find information about local services and facilities by putting your postcode into the service finder on the main website.

If you want to report a problem with your street or to find out about roadworks, you can contact the council.  You can also use the website to pay a parking fine or pay it over the phone to prevent it from increasing.

The council handle a number of benefits for city residents and you can ring them to make a benefit claim or to notify of a change in your details.  If you want to know more about the new Universal Credit benefit, you can also ring the main number.

Other departments include planning and development, children and families and business and licensing.  The website has sections of things to do if you live in the area and are looking for inspiration or are visiting.  You can also find out where parks and leisure services are around the council area.


Birmingham City Council - MapWards

Because Birmingham City Council covers so many people, it is divided into 40 wards to help manage and to ensure people have access to a councillor.  These wards are:

  • Acocks Green, Aston
  • Bartley Green, Billesley, Bordesley Green, Bournville, Brandwood
  • Edgbaston, Erdington
  • Hall Green, Handsworth Wood, Harborne, Hodge Hill
  • Kings Norton, Kingstanding
  • Ladywood, Longbridge, Lozells and East Handsworth
  • Moseley and Kings Heath
  • Nechells, Northfield
  • Oscott
  • Perry Barr
  • Quinton
  • Selly Oak, Shard End, Sheldon, Soho, South Yardley, Sparkbrook, Springfield, Stechford and Yardley North, Stockland Green, Sutton Four Oaks, Sutton New Hall, Sutton Trinity, Sutton Vesey
  • Tyburn
  • Washwood Heath, Weoley

In addition to the wards, the city council also has 10 district committees to break up some services and ensure they are organised at local level.  The council constituencies are Edgbaston, Erdington, Hall Green, Hodge Hill, Ladywood, Northfield, Perry Barr, Selly Oak, Sutton Coldfield and Yardley.

Contact the council

Birmingham City Council is a large one and there is a comprehensive list of departments that cover all the main queries that residents could have.  The main switchboard can be reached at 0121 303 1111 while there are also two numbers for minicom users 0121 303 1119 or 0121 675 8221. If you have Type Talk or similar devices, simply add 18001 before the number.

Some of the main contact numbers for the departments include:

  • Anti-social behaviour 0121 303 1111
  • Benefits (includes Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support 0121 464 7000
  • Child protection – concerned about a child? 0121 303 1888
  • Council tax 0121 303 1113
  • Domestic violence 0121 303 0368 or 0121 303 0369
  • Emergency duty team 0121 675 4806
  • Environmental health 0121 303 6007
  • Highways/Flooding/Transportation (out of hours only) 0121 303 4149
  • Homelessness 0121 303 7410
  • Housing repairs 0121 216 3330
  • Planning 0121 303 1115
  • Pollution of brooks and streams or report an environmental incident 0800 807060
  • Register office 0121 675 1000
  • Rubbish (Waste and Recycling) 0121 303 1112
  • School admissions and pupil placements 0121 303 1888
  • Transportation emergencies 0121 303 4149

You can see their main website for opening hours and for more information about other departments and services at