Barking & Dagenham Council

Call 020 8215 3000

Barking & Dagenham is one of the 32 council areas of Greater London and is run by the Barking & Dagenham London Borough Council.  This council was created during the restructuring of 1963 from the Barking Borough Council and the Dagenham Borough Council.

The council operates from the Town Hall in Barking and offers services for residents including housing, schools, benefits and support, jobs and careers and waste collection.  They oversee schools and childcare in the area and run the planning and building control services.

There are 17 wards within the council area, each with one or more councillors elected to it:

  1. Abbey
  2. Alibon
  3. Becontree
  4. Chadwell Heath
  5. Eastbrook
  6. Eastbury
  7. Gascoigne
  8. Goresbrook
  9. Heath
  10. Longbridge
  11. Mayesbrook
  12. Parsloes
  13. River
  14. Thames
  15. Valence
  16. Village
  17. Whalebone

Contacting the council

The council recommend using their website as the first point of contact to solve many problems – it is available 24 hours a day and there is plenty of well organised and up to date information on it.  You can find it at  There is the option to set up an account and this lets you securely make payments for things like council tax as well as request services such as a missed bin collection or report an abandoned vehicle.

The next option is to ring the main contact number for the council.  This is 020 8215 3000 and is available from 8 am until 6 pm weekdays.  This number can be used to access the following departments:

  • Council tax payment and queries
  • Benefits including housing benefit and council tax support
  • Housing queries including requesting repairs, paying rent and general housing advice
  • Waste bin and recycling queries
  • Parking and street or pavement issues
  • Schooling queries

In addition to this, there is an emergency out of hours line that can be used when the main line is closed for the day.  This is 020 8215 3000. If you need to make a complaint to the council, then you can do this on the website by visiting and following the on-screen process to get the complaint registered.